A Dutch oven is essential camping gear, perfect for cooking hearty one-pot meals. A Dutch oven can do everything from soups and stews to braised meats and baked goods. Not sure what to make? Here are five great recipes to get you started.
This chili is packed with flavor, thanks to a combination of ground beef, diced tomatoes, beans, and a variety of spices. Best of all, it only takes about 30 minutes to cook, meaning you can have a hot meal on the table in no time.
Williamson Chili Seasoning
Cook hamburger meat
Put as much as you want with Williamson chili seasoning, but I typically use half of the packet
1 tablespoon of mustard (put as much or little as you want) I typically just season to taste
1 tablespoon of ketchup (put as much or little as you want) I typically just season to taste
1 Can Chili beans
1 Can of Chili tomatoes
Promise you this will be the easiest and BEST CHILI EVER!!!!
Dutch Oven Chicken and Dumplings
This classic comfort food is even better when made over the campfire. Tender chicken breasts are simmered in a creamy sauce with carrots, celery, and onions. Fluffy dumplings are added in the last few minutes of cooking for a filling meal the whole family will love.
Chicken and Dumplings, Dutch Oven Style
One of the best things about camping is sitting around the campfire at the end of the day, and enjoying a delicious meal with your friends or family. There's something about cooking over an open flame that just makes food taste better. If you're looking for a hearty, warming dish to make while camping, look no further than chicken and dumplings cooked in a Dutch oven.
-1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
-1 onion, diced
-4 carrots, diced
-4 celery stalks, diced
-2 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley
-1 teaspoon of salt
-1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
-1 can of cream of chicken soup
-1 can of chicken broth
-1 package of crescent rolls
- Preheat your Dutch oven by placing it on top of hot coals from your campfire. You'll know it's ready when you can hold your hand an inch above the surface for only a few seconds before having to pull it away.
- Add the chicken pieces, onions, carrots, celery, parsley, salt, and pepper to the pot.
- Pour in the cream of chicken soup and chicken broth.
- Place the lid on the pot and put more hot coals on top, being careful not to overload it (you want to create an even heat).
- Let the pot cook for about 45 minutes to an hour, until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the lid carefully—the steam will be very hot!—and test the chicken by piercing it with a fork; if the juices run clear, it's done.
- While the chicken is cooking, use this time to prepare your dumplings by opening up the package of crescent rolls and pulling them apart into individual triangles. 6. When the chicken is cooked through, add the dumplings to the pot one at a time by placing them on top of the stew (they will sink down as they cook). Be sure to stir occasionally so they don't stick together or burn on one side.
- Cook for another 10-15 minutes until the dumplings are fluffy and cooked through. Serve hot! Enjoy!
The next time you're planning a camping trip, don't forget to include this recipe for Dutch oven chicken and dumplings on your menu. It's sure to be a hit with everyone around the campfire!
A campsite classic, this beef stew is chock-full of veggies like potatoes and carrots! the perfect meal to warm up with on a cold night.
This dish is perfect for fall camping trips. The savory meal that's bound to please any palate.
V8 Regular or Spicy (TRUST ME YOU WILL NEVER USE ANYTHING ELSE)
Potatoes- cut up
Baby Carrots- whole or cut up
Onion- just put a few for flavor
Corn- 1 to 2 cans
Cover and cook for 4-6 hours but just depends on how hot you get your dutch oven.
Make sure and put the meat, and potatoes at the bottom because they take the longest to cook! Cook until the meat, and potatoes are cooked and soft!
Dutch Oven Pizza
Yes, you can make pizza in a Dutch oven! This recipe is super easy all you do is put the pre-made crust on the bottom, and then literally just put pizza sauce on the bottom and then start layering the toppings of your choice, and then let the magic begin. It's the perfect way to satisfy your pizza craving while camping.
You Can Eat Like A King and Queen While Camping!
A Dutch oven is a versatile piece of equipment that every camper should have. With it, you can make everything from soups and stews to braised meats and baked goods. The next time you're planning a camping trip, be sure to bring along one of these five recipes for a delicious Dutch oven meal.
These recipes have an- extremely special place in my heart because my dad taught me these, and now my husband wants me to make these all the time!!
Looking for additional camping essentials check out our other articles?