When summer becomes back in full swing and that means one thing – camping!
Whether you're a seasoned camper or just trying it out for the first time, mosquitoes are always a nuisance. That's why we've put together a list of the best mosquito repellents for camping so you can enjoy your trip without being eaten alive.
We know how important it is to be prepared when hitting the great outdoors, so make sure to check out our list before packing your bags. From sprays to lotions to candles, we've got you covered.
Read on to find the perfect mosquito repellent for your next camping trip!
How We Choose The Best Mosquito Repellent For Camping
When summertime arrives that means camping season is in full swing! But what's the point of leaving civilization if you're just going to be eaten alive by mosquitos?
Don't let the bugs keep you from enjoying nature. There are a ton of different mosquito repellents on the market, but which one is right for you?
We have you covered. We've done all the research so that you can find the best mosquito repellent for your needs without spending hours reading reviews.
Check out our top picks!
Sawyer Products 20% Picaridin Insect Repellent
Reasons We Love It
Looking for an effective insect repellent? Look no further than Sawyer Products' 20% Picaridin Insect Repellent. This powerful repellent has been proven to be effective against mosquitoes, ticks, and other disease-carrying insects. Whether you're looking to protect yourself or your family, Sawyer Products Picaridin Repellent is an ideal choice. And because it can be used in a variety of ways - as a personal spray or lotion, or as a spray for clothing, shoes, tents, and other gear - it's perfect for any situation. Don't let insects ruin your next outdoor adventure - make sure you're prepared with Sawyer Products' 20% Picaridin Insect Repellent.
Things To Know About
Sawyer Products 20% Picaridin Insect Repellent is Wirecutter's #1 choice for bug repellent. Sawyer Products is EPA-approved and safe, effective, and sprays accurately and evenly to offer excellent coverage. Sawyer Products is also the American Mosquito Control Association's most effective insect repellent. Sawyer Products is an all-around great product that will keep you safe from bugs!
Cutter Backwoods Dry Insect Repellent, with DEET
Reasons We Love It
Looking for a powerful and effective insect repellent? Look no further than Cutter Backwoods Dry Insect Repellent. This repellent contains DEET, which is well-tested and proven to be effective at repelling mosquitoes. So you can rest assured that you'll be protected from those pesky mosquitos and other insects when you use this repellent. Cutter Backwoods Dry Insect Repellent is also easy to use - simply spray it on your skin or clothing and you're good to go! So don't let insects ruin your outdoor fun - pick up a bottle of Cutter Backwoods Dry Insect Repellent today.
Things to Know About
Cutter Backwoods Dry Insect Repellent is a product that promises to keep you bite-free for up to 10 hours. It's also sweat-resistant, so you can wear it while you're out hiking or working in the yard. And unlike other insect repellents, it dries without leaving behind an oily or sticky residue. Cutter Backwoods Dry Insect Repellent contains DEET, which is effective at keeping away mosquitoes, ticks, and other pesky insects. So if you're looking for an insect repellent that won't leave you feeling icky and sticky, Cutter Backwoods Dry Insect Repellent is worth a try.
Best Repellent Device
Thermacell MR300 Portable Mosquito Repellent
Reasons We Love It
Looking for a portable mosquito repellent that can go anywhere with you? Look no further than the Thermacell MR300! This handy little device is perfect for using around your campsite, in your backyard, or on your patio - and it even comes with a clip so you can attach it to your backpack when you're hiking or fishing.
Thermacell mosquito repellers work by emitting a small amount of heat, which creates a barrier of protection against mosquitoes. And since there's no need for candles or flames, it's completely safe to use around kids and pets. So if you're looking for a safe, effective way to keep mosquitoes at bay, the Thermacell MR300 is the perfect solution.
Things To Know About
When you're roughing it in the great outdoors, the last thing you want is to be bothered by mosquitoes. That's where the Thermacell MR300 Portable Mosquito Repellent comes in. It offers a 20' invisible, scent-free protection zone that's powered by tiny butane canisters. And it uses a replaceable repellant mat to repel mosquitoes, so you don't have to worry about recharging it (yet another) device. So if you're looking for a hassle-free way to keep mosquitoes at bay when camping or RVing off the grid, the Thermacell MR300 is a great choice.
GUIDE: What To Look For When Choosing a Mosquito Repellent for Camping
- The first thing you'll want to consider when choosing a mosquito repellent for camping is the active ingredient. The most common active ingredients are DEET and picaridin. DEET is the more effective of the two, but it can also be harmful to humans if used in high concentrations. Picaridin is a newer repellent that is just as effective as DEET but is considered to be safer for humans.
- You'll also want to consider the formulation of the repellent. Repellents come in lotions, sprays, and wipes. Lotions are typically the most effective, but they can be messy and difficult to apply evenly. Sprays are easier to apply, but they can be harmful if inhaled or ingested. Wipes are the easiest to use but may not provide as much coverage as a spray or lotion.
- The next thing to consider is the duration of protection offered by the repellent. Some repellents will only protect you for an hour or two, while others will protect you for up to eight hours. If you'll be spending a lot of time outdoors, you'll want to choose a repellent with a long duration of protection.
- You'll also want to consider the size of the area that the repellent will cover. Some repellents will only protect a small area, while others will protect a large area. If you'll be spending time in a large area, you'll want to choose a repellent with a large coverage area.
- Another thing to consider is the scent of the repellent. Some people prefer unscented repellents, while others don't mind a strong scent. If you're sensitive to smells, you'll want to choose an unscented repellent.
- You'll also want to consider any other special needs you might have, such as if you're PREGNANT OR IF YOU HAVE SENSITIVE SKIN. If you have any special needs, be sure to read the label carefully to make sure the repellent is safe for you to use.
- Finally, you'll want to consider the price of the repellent. Repellents can range in price from a few dollars to over $100. If you're on a budget, you'll want to choose a less expensive option. However, if you're willing to spend more money, you'll get a better quality product that will last longer and provide better protection.
Best Mosquito Repellent For Camping FAQs
Mosquitos can ruin a camping trip.
Millions of people each year are affected by mosquito-borne illnesses, such as the Zika virus, Dengue fever, Chikungunya, and West Nile virus.
Our FAQs will help you choose the best mosquito repellent for camping based on your needs and preferences. We'll also teach you how to use DEET safely to avoid any health risks.
What is the best way to keep mosquitoes out of your campsite?
There are a few different ways that you can keep mosquitoes away from your campsite. One way is to make your own bug spray by mixing essential oils and vinegar in a spray bottle. You can also invest in mosquito-repellent candles, coils, or devices. Another way to keep mosquitoes away is to wear protective clothing. Finally, you can camp near a fire as mosquitoes are not fond of the smoke.
What is the most effective mosquito-repellent device?
There are a lot of mosquito-repellent devices on the market, but not all of them are created equal. Some are more effective than others, and some are more expensive. If you're looking for the most effective mosquito-repellent device, then you should definitely consider the Thermacell E90 Rechargeable Mosquito Repellent. This device is highly effective at keeping mosquitoes away, and it's also very affordable.
What scent is a natural mosquito repellent?
Lemon eucalyptus oil is a good way to keep mosquitoes away. If you like how lemon smells, this oil is worth trying. This might sound crazy but try out lemon pledge because it has saved us on many occasions when we go to Yellowstone and Grand Teton's when we camp at our absolute favorite place ever by the beautiful snake river the mosquitos come out so give it a try. Additionally, peppermint, lemongrass, and citronella are a few more to try.
Why do mosquitoes hate citronella?
Citronella oil's volatile compounds give it its mosquito-repelling reputation. While most humans don't mind the light citrus scent, mosquitoes reportedly hate it, so citronella is used in a variety of products like candles and insect repellents.
In one study, candles made with citronella essential oil were able to reduce the number of mosquitoes by about 35%. Citronella candles burn in many backyards on summer nights because of the belief that they repel mosquitoes like garlic repels vampires.
However, according to experts, citronella candles are not very effective at repelling mosquitoes. The smell of citronella, in a more concentrated way like you get with a candle's scent, is repellent, but the amount being put out by a candle isn't going to be very effective.
Any repelling is typically coming from the smoke, not the scent itself. So if you're looking for a natural way to keep mosquitoes away, citronella isn't your best bet.
How do I make myself mosquito-proof?
There are a few things you can do to make yourself have mosquito protection.
- First, wear clothes that cover your skin. Loose-fitting, long-sleeved shirts and pants made of tightly woven cloth will protect you from mosquito bites and other biting insects.
- You can also use insect repellent containing DEET, but be sure to follow the instructions on the label.
- Citronella candles and other natural mosquito repellents can be helpful.
- Finally, keep mosquitoes from getting into your camping tent or camper by maintaining fly screens on doors and windows and repairing any holes in screens plus mosquito nets are handy to have and make a huge difference.
By taking these precautions, you can avoid mosquito bites and the risk of contracting mosquito-borne diseases.
Do citronella candles really work?
Citronella candles are a popular mosquito repellent, but do they really work? The answer is yes and no. Citronella candles are effective at repelling mosquitoes in the immediate area surrounding the candle. However, they do not keep mosquitoes away from a larger area like your backyard or patio. If you want to keep mosquitoes away from a larger area, consider even using bug zappers or insect repellent, and other natural repellents.
Final Thoughts On The Best Mosquito Repellent For Camping
When it comes to camping, there's nothing worse than being eaten alive by mosquitoes. Thankfully, there are a number of mosquito repellents on the market that can help keep these pesky critters away.
If you're looking for an effective and affordable mosquito repellent to take with you camping, then you should definitely consider the Thermacell E90 Rechargeable Mosquito Repellent.
This device is highly effective at keeping mosquitoes away, and it's also very affordable.
Additionally, if you like the smell of lemons, this oil is worth trying because mosquitos hate the smell of lemon!
Don't forget to check prices on!
Thank you for taking the time to read this article and Happy Camping!
Looking for additional camping essentials check out our other articles?